Friday, June 13, 2008

Save Energy Save Dollars

~2008 NYSLAA Conference Report~
Save Energy/Save Dollars
Presented by - Steve Chandler, Cornell Cooperative Extension

Workshop attended and reported by:
Gail Howard, Williamson Public Library

One of the classes I attended was Save Energy/Save Dollars. Our instructor, Steve, is an educator with Cornell Cooperative Extension. I was pleased to hear all the changes I had already made but quickly discovered there were many more money saving things I could do that are easy to do such as keeping your hot water tank set at 120 degrees and unplugging the cell phone recharger when not in use.
We all know to turn the thermostat lower in the winter but did you know that for every degree you turn it down, for every eight hours you do this you save about 1% on your annual heating costs? I know it doesn’t seem like much saved but with all the other changes you can make it really adds up.
We were all given an energy savings action plan to put into place in our own homes so I’ve been busy holding up my end of the bargain!

No comments: