Thursday, June 12, 2008

Islam

~2008 NYSLAA conference report~
Islam
Presented by - Alex Snow, LeMoyne College, Cayuga Community College and SUNY Cortland

Workshop attended & reported by:
Peg Pelletier, Newark Public Library

The second session, Islam, was presented by Alex Snow. This was one of the most powerful presentations I have ever been to. I learned a mass of things, and I felt really drawn in at the end to make the effort to educate myself and not to rely on the often slanted news coverage that we are constantly assaulted by.

The easiest way for me to share some of what he taught us is to list the movies and books that he recommended:

The Message (DVD) Moustapha Akkad; Anthony Quinn; Irene Pappas (I am requesting this for purchase)

Read: The Gospel of Thomas

Watch or read: The Last Temptation of Christ

Watch: Hidalgo

Watch: The Messenger

Read: Books by Karen Armstrong (There are a lot of them listed in Owwl.org)

Read: Ernst, Carl - Following Muhammad : rethinking Islam in the contemporary world

Read: John L. Esposito, John L. (There are a lot of them listed in Owwl.org)


I hope we can all expand our knowledge about this important topic.

No comments: